Picture
It's been cold here in Minnesota and I am not one to get involved in Winter activities such as skiing, sledding, snowmobiling or even taking the trash cans to the curb. So I have been catching up on a few favorite TV shows on the cold cold nights. One new favorite has been Dr. Who. I watched it a few times bake in the 1980's when Tom Baker was the Doctor. I didn't think any other actor could come close to what he did but now I understand the whole concept of regeneration and how that works so well with having a new actor, new face, new personality. It also gets me thinking about one of my favorite sci-fi concepts...Time Travel. Dr. Who, the crew of the starship Enterprise, and even Marty McFly have all traveled through time. They used starships, police phone boxes and Deloreans to move through time. I wondered what I would use to build a time machine. The answer was obvious. A piano!

Why not? Every piano is already a time machine. Just listen to the sounds of Mozart, Rachmaninoff and Gershwin coming from a piano and it's like you are going back in time. The music they composed can be played anytime, sounding fresh and new with each note. I grew up listening to my father play a lot of the great piano pieces and remember them fondly. The music travels through time on the piano and each new generation hears it as a new composition, bringing joy and inspiration to people all over the world.

So, if you have a piano sitting in your living room that hasn't been played for a while, go dust it off, get out the piano books you used a a kid in 1974 and start playing. Play anything! You will find it can transport you to the 1800's to hear music by Frederic Chopin or back to 1968 when you play Lady Madonna by the Beatles. You will be surprised at the places your piano can take you.

Oh, and if it sounds like it is from a saloon in Deadwood in the 1880's, give your local piano tuner a call and he'll make sure the Flux Capacitor is working properly so you can keep traveling in time for years to come.

Thanks Ralph Covert for the inspiration of the title of this post. If you have kids, check out his Time Machine Guitar, coming soon to a PBS station near you!

Comments

Can I simply say what a comfort to discover somebody who actually knows what they are discussing over the internet. You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people ought to look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you're not more popular given that you certainly have the gift.

02/12/2016 10:15pm

May I simply say what a relief to discover a person that genuinely understands what they are talking about online. You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people really need to look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you are not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.

02/12/2016 10:15pm

I'm very pleased to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and i also have you book marked to look at new stuff in your site.

Great masters of piano and the time machines piano’s has something common but most of the piano’s are different with each other now a days. Winter nights are always need something like that and that you saying you watched TV it is also a flavor in the cold nights.

03/28/2016 7:40am

Time machine is very important and necessary for the right nd effective measures. It is incorporated for the triumph and perpetual phenomenon it is vital and encouraged with the skills and abilities of the times. It is reformed and organized for the efficiency of the tasks and all projects.

04/21/2016 8:50am

Because music can takes you to an any ages.

06/13/2016 4:15pm

This post is really informative and you have posted such precious and informative article which gave me lot of information. I hope that you will keep it up and we will have more informative and helping news from you. Thanks

11/25/2016 12:25pm

Amid the Middle Ages, there were a few endeavors at making stringed console instruments with struck strings.[6] By the seventeenth century, the systems of console instruments, for example, the clavichord and the harpsichord were very much created. In a clavichord, the strings are struck by digressions, while in a harpsichord, they are mechanically culled by plumes when the entertainer discourages the key.

02/26/2017 7:51am

A sewing machine is a fantastic tool to help you sew almost anything you can think of, so choosing a good machine, especially for beginners to learn with, is an important task.

09/17/2017 7:13am

Electrical Discharge Machining is a proven complementary method method to traditional manufacturing processes like Swiss turning and milling.